Wednesday 15 August 2012

Search 58



SEARCH 58
7 November 2005

Monday, 7 November 2005, 1.52 pm - 2.46 pm.

I e-mailed Dato' Anwar Fazal to ask about my grandfather who worked with Penang Town Council after his retirement. I used the e-mail given to me by Dr. Lee Lik Meng.

From my communication with Dr. Lee Lik Meng on 6 September 2005, Dato' Anwar Fazal is retired. He was with UNDP.

I received an e-mail back from Dato' Anwar Fazal. The subject read "dato dr che lah ... a penang icon" I was really surprised! I never knew nor expected that my grandfather was indeed a Penang icon. Thus, more questions arise - what did he do that earned him this tag? What were his contributions to Penang? Malays? Malaysia? What did he do that has benefited all of us? There must be alot more that is missing from all my writing thus far. I must continue to search and document all evidence that remains. It is not an easy task and it takes time to write everything orderly. I still do not have documents of his work and workplaces so it is still difficult to arrange the information about him chronologically.

Dato' Anwar Fazal indicated that he will certainly help with this research. He remembers Dato' Dr. Che Lah bin Mohd. Joonos having worked for the Rural District Council, Penang island. I confirmed with Dato' Anwar Fazal that Dato' Dr. Che Lah indeed had a bungalow in Jalan Pemanchar, Gelugor. His bungalow was the last house on top of the hill, just around the sharp corner before the road levels towards Stesyen Pemancar and turns downhill towards Prof. Asma Ismail's parents' house. He also had another previous house along Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, Penang. Dato' Anwar Fazal's father almost purchased Dato' Dr. Che Lah's bungalow. Dato' Anwar Fazal's sisters stay opposite that place now.

Dato' Anwar Fazal informed that one of his sisters just retired as the Chief Librarian of USM.

Dato' Anwar Fazal asked if I have seen the book by Dr. Ong Heng Tee on the history of medicine in Penang. I replied to him no.

Dato' Anwar Fazal asked if I have seen the book on IMR's 50th anniversary book on the history of medicine in Malaya. I replied to him no.

At the time Dato' Anwar e-mailed me, he was away at a conference. He promised to send some stuff to Kota Bharu. According to him, a friend, Dr. Felicity Savage, will be coming to USM to give a lecture organised by Assoc. Prof. Zalina Ismail during the Brain Awareness Week.

Dato' Anwar Fazal asked who are the other doctors I was looking at in Penang. I was not sure whether there were other doctors in Penang.

Dato' Anwar Fazal asked whether I had looked at the Straits Echo, the old Penang newspaper. He said there may be something there. I have not looked at the Straits Echo to search about my grandfather but I have heard about it.

Dato' Anwar Fazal wanted me to keep in touch and sends his regards.


Acknowledgement

Dato' Dr. Che Lah bin Mohd. Joonos (KE VII Class of 1930; December 1903 - 26 January 1986)
A Penang icon. Malay. Second of 4 siblings.
Worked with the Rural District Council, Penang island
Previous houses - 1 house facing Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah (sold), 1 bungalow (demolished) in Jalan Pemanchar, last house still stands at Jalan 7, Minden Heights, Gelugor, Penang.

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Lee Lik Meng (now Prof. Lee Lik Meng in 2012)
School of Housing, Building and Planning (HBP)
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
11800 USM, Penang, Malaysia
E-mail: likmeng@gmail.com

Dato' Anwar Fazal
Worked with Penang Town Council in 1960s
Retired from UNDP
Works for World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA)
E-mail: anwarfazal2004@yahoo.com

Dato' Anwar Fazal's sister
Retired as Chief Librarian, USM

The Straits Echo
Old Penang newspaper

Associate Prof. Zalina Ismail
Brain Awareness Week, USM Health Campus

Dr. Felicity Savage
Brain Awareness Week, invited speaker from UK

Dr. Ong Heng Tee
History of Medicine in Penang

IMR 50th Anniversary
History of Medicine in Malaya


Telehealth Research Group
http://www.medic.usm.my/rnd/telehealth
School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia

0 comments: