Monday 17 January 2011

42. Dr Syed Mahmood bin Syed Hussain Jamalullail (1921-2011)




Dr Syed Mahmood bin Syed Hussain Jamalullail (1921-2011)
MBBS 1951 UM (S'pore)

Date of birth: 29 September 1921
Place of birth: Arau, Perlis
Date of demise: 30 November 2011
Place of demise:Pantai Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur
Place of burial: Makam Diraja Lama in Arau, Perlis
Date of burial: 1 December 2011

Family:
Dr Syed Mahmood SHJ had married to Dr Paduka Ruby Majeed in 1956. They have 3 children - 2 sons and a daughter. He passed away at age 90. He left behind 2 children and 5 grandchildren.

Work and contributions:
  1. Worked as a medical doctor for Hong Kong during WWII
  2. Worked at the Star Ferry Pier in Hong Kong (refer Natalie Pang's article on the Star Ferry Pier)
... disappearing sites in such contexts, for example the demolition of the Star Ferry Pier due to land reclamation projects in Hong Kong – also a former British colony like Singapore. At midnight of November 11, 2006, myriads of people gathered at the Star Ferry terminal to witness the last ferry service and the final toll of the iconic clock tower, taking photographs and videos which were later uploaded on online image-sharing sites such as Youtube and Flickr (Grace, 2007). Helen Grace (2007: 468) further argues that the local activism against the destruction of the Star Ferry pier - Natalie Pang

External links:
  1. Industrial railroad to digital memory routes: remembering the last railway in Singapore. Natalie Pang. pages 2-3. Media, Culture & Society. http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/mcs
  2. Maharum Bugis Syah: http://maharum1.rssing.com/chan-6221278/all_p5.html#item100
  3. Family tree:  http://members.iinet.net.au/~royalty/states/malaysia/perlis.html

9 comments:

Sellene said...

I'm sure you know that this man is Dr Ruby's husband. Has she really passed away?

As late as 2003, she was still practising in KL. I had to go and get my blood tested and she kept poking the needle all over my arm to find a vein - she could not locate a vein. She did that to my female friend who fainted right away and had to come another day. That's how bad she was in her later years. Thankfully I heard she has given up her practice.

Incidentally, do you know that Tan Sri Kamsiah Majid (or Kamsiah Ibrahim) was married to the late Datuk Dr Ibrahim Yassin? He was, I think a dentist and was the first head of UM's Faculty of Dentistry, if I'm not mistaken.

Coco Majid would have information on him as they're related. I find his name missing from your list, but then perhaps it was because he was a dentist. Kamsiah was born in 1921, so the husband would have been from that generation also.

Faridah said...

I was misinformed. Dr Ruby is still alive.

I don't know Tan Sri Kamsiah Majid/Ibrahim nor her husband.

I'm including medical doctors, homeopathy doctors and dentists in my book.

Coco Majid is my datuk saudara, my arwah dad's uncle. Coco never told me about Kamsiah nor Ibrahim Yassin.

The names are picked from a long list in To Sail Unchartered Seas, 2005 (but I started writing in Nov 2002). I will need to re-check whether her & his names are in the list. Most names used initials and are listed by their surnames, so I won't be able to tell who's who most times.

TQ for your input. I don't know who you are.

Sellene said...

Do ask Coco about Ibrahim Yassin. If you had read Coco's autobiography, this man was mentioned therein.

Tan Sri Kamsiah was not a medical practitioner but a leading figure in the Malaysian WI scene. She, the Majeed sisters are all part of the same generation. Husband passed away some time back, I think.

Faridah said...

Coco gave me his autobiography when I interviewed him in May 2007.

Coco is Abdul Majid bin Ismail.
Ruby is Umi Kalthom Ruby bt Abdul Majeed.
Ruby's sister is Datuk Prof Zuraina Abdul Majeed.

I'm related to all 3 by pure chance. I never knew.

wahida shabudin said...

Faridah, i'm very interested to know the name of Dr. Ruby's cousins. Please.

Faridah said...

Dear Wahida.
I'm not allowed to reveal any further info. This is in respect of Dr Ruby's request.

amali1999 said...

How's Dr Ruby now?
She's my in-laws' family friend. We used to go to her clinic in PJ.
Amali

Bintul Shabudin said...

Salam Faridah. It's me again, Wahida. Actually, I was informed by my mother, who once worked in Kangar GH, that Dr Ruby was related to my late father, his cousin probably... My father's name was Shabudin bin Abdullah. Please send my best regards to her.

Faridah said...

Salam all,
I was informed by Pejabat Warisan Negara that Datuk Paduka Dr Ruby Majid has passed away. Please write to her youngest sister, Prof Zuraina Majid at Pejabat Warisan Negara. TQ