Monday 6 August 2012

Technical Note - Sending large files

How to send large files (eg digital photos; single file vs archive or zip) - PowerPoint (PPT) 5Aug2012

There are 2 programs for sending large files, one is YouSendIt and the other is sendspace. Both are good but have certain limitations. They are useful for sending photos and manuscripts.

YouSendIt
  1. Maximum file size: 20MB
  2. Limitation: cannot send zip file
  3. This program is free
  4. I have used YouSendIt since 2009. 
  5. YouSendIt is for instant download. It doesn't keep the files on the server for very long.
  6. Start with this program first and if this program is limiting, try sendspace next.
  7. Always start by sending a file to yourself. If it works, it will work for others.

sendspace
  1. Maximum file size: 200MB (sometimes 300MB)
  2. Limitation: cannot exceed total file limit size (1 GB)
  3. This program is free
  4. Good point: can send compressed files (zip files)
  5. Good point: files remain on the sendspace server for approx. 1 month, with constant reminder of time left (1 week) before files will be automatically deleted.
  6. Always start by sending a file to yourself. If it works, it will work for others.

How I have used sendspace:
  1. In 2012, when I wanted to send the manuscript to Xlibris, I also had 400+ photos to send. I could not use YouSendIt as it would not allow me to send that many files and such a huge volume of contents. I wanted to send compressed files (zip files) to save time. Xlibris suggested me to use sendspace to send my files to my editors. So I learned how to use sendspace (trial and error). When that worked ok, I then sent my files using sendspace. The files were downloaded by the IT Dept at Xlibris and then distributed to 2 depts - copy-editors and production team. 
  2. Sendspace became very essential for my work. Else I would have to spend a lot of money to send my manuscript and photos by courier to Xlibris for printing my books. I didn't have to buy tons of pendrives or any extra external harddisk. Learning how to use sendspace helped me a lot.
  3. I have prepared a PowerPoint (PPT) for how to use sendspace but give it a try first. Let me know if you get stuck and I will email the PPT to help you out. The PPT is gratis.
  4. You can send individual files or zip them first and then upload to sendspace. I will write a technical note for how to create compressed files.
  5. Read the sendspace instructions online carefully and follow strictly. 
  6. Just a note of warning: there is an advertisement button at the sendspace website. Do not click on that button. If you accidentally clicked on it, it will ask for your hp#. Do not fill in. Leave the application and go back (track back). You will lose about RM24 of you entered your hp# and find out later that it is a scam.

0 comments: