Tuesday 8 March 2011

Hospital Bangsar / Bangsar Hospital / European Hospital



The European Hospital in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur was also known as the Bangsar Hospital by the locals. The buildings have been demolished to make way for the Public Health Institute (PHI).

Since two people have asked for photos of "Bangsar Hospital" so far, I have created this post to cater to those needs and for many more who will need the same photos.

I had obtained information about Hospital Bangsar from Tan Sri Dr Abdul Majid bin Ismail, the second Director-General of Health Malaysia when I interviewed him at his office in May 2007. 

The photos of Hospital Bangsar in this post are from Mr Arasu who obtained them recently from Arkib Negara Malaysia (Malaysian National Archives) in Kuala Lumpur. More photos are in his Facebook account. Link to Arasu in Facebook. You may want to get more photos from Arkib Negara. Arasu is planning on a reunion for everyone who had been involved with Hospital Bangsar.

For captions to these photos, please join Arasu's Facebook as he has described them all. He has lived on the grounds of this hospital as his father was once a gardener there.


EUROPEAN HOSPITAL / BANGSAR HOSPITAL in KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

These photos of the hospital are from the Malaysian National Archives.
I got them from Arasu in Facebook, who obtained them from the Archives.

Photos courtesy of Arkib Negara Malaysia.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your information.
I was born in this hospital on
30/08/1959.
Regards
Vani SURULIRAJ

Unknown said...

Thank you also, I was born in this hospital in 1954!
William (Bill) Roberts

Noy said...

Wonderful photos - I was born here on 23rd August, 1946! First white child born after the war. Gabrielle Stewart

Unknown said...

Very interesting, thank you. My two brothers and myself were all born here: 1952, 1955 & 1956 respectively. Unfortunately, my eldest brother contracted polio when we lived in Malaysia and I presume that this is also the hospital which he would have visited with our parents at that time. We lived in Batu Arang, Selangor and returned to Scotland, U.K. in 1957. Thank you again, Anne Crane.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for such photos for years - thank you! I was born here in 1950 and my brother in 1952. Peter Brokenshire

Rajasingam said...

Thank you for the photos. I was also born in this hospital in 1960, but it's spelt Bungsar, not Bangsar, in my birth certificate. I believe this was the original spelling

Anonymous said...

I was born here 22/10/62. My father managed a rubber plantation in Malaya before we went back to UK and eventually Australia

Robert Woodward said...

Hi, the photos are great, my sister and I were both born here in 1959 and 1961 respectively. I now live in London but had a chance to visit the site. They have now flattened the Public Health Institute (which replaced the Bangsor hospital) and are now planning to build a power station on the 12 acre site :-(

Carson said...

Thank you for posting these photos. My mother was born at this hospital in 1937.

And just as a small FYI: Mr. Rajasingam is correct in his post. It was spelled Bungsar, not Bangsar. This is on my mother's birth certificate.

Anonymous said...

It was also called Bungsar hospital on my, and my sisters birth certificates. 1956 & 1959
Karen & Adrienne Leech

Anonymous said...

Diana Lillig. I was born here in 1953! Can confirm it was Bungsar hospital on my birth certificate. My Dad was Vice Counsel at US Consulate.

fastjonny said...

I was born in this Hospital in June 1962

Anonymous said...

I was born there in 1947. My father was manager of an estate in Selangor. We moved to Melbourne when the emergency began. My father couldn’t cope with the stress following his experiences on the Burma Siam railway.

Anonymous said...

I was also born in Bungsar Hospital in 1956. It was great to see the photos.thank you.

Anonymous said...

I too was born in Bungsar hospital, because my father was the doctor in the UK military hospital at the time and so I could not be born in the hospital where he was the doctor. I was moved to the military hospital when I was 1 day old. My first passport said Place of birth Bungsar, but I thought that was unhelpful so I got it edited to Kuala Lumpur

Anonymous said...

I too was born at Bungsar hospital in September 1958, but got moved when one day old to the Military hospital where my father was the UK doctor. My first passport had place of birth as Bungsar, but I got it changed to Kuala Lumpur

Mary Clare Matthews said...

These photos are fabulous. My sister & I were born here in 1947 & 1950. My birth certificate says “Bungsar”.

Anonymous said...

I was born in Bungsar Hospital in 1950. My father was the Medical Officer of Health in KL and later became the Deputy Director of Medical Services for the Federation of Malaya

Anonymous said...

I was born at Bungsar Hospital in 1956. My father was a Civil Engineer working for the Public Works Dept. We left KL in 1957 when his contract ended.
I have just made a trip to KL (2024) and managed to see what I think was our house in Federal Hill. Unfortunately the grounds where the hospital was are being redeveloped but I took a photo of myself as close to it as I could!
KL is a very impressive city and I'm sorry I didn't return sooner.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Was born here in 1962. Year of the Tiger.