Friday, 2 May 2014
The Penang Malay Association (PMA)
Persatuan Melayu Pulau Pinang (PEMENANG)
60, Jalan Pemenang
Established: Sunday, 27 March 1927 in Georgetown, Penang
In 1911, the Young Muslim Union (YMU) was established in Penang. It catered for Muslims who had British educational background. These Muslims would then serve as lower officers in the British administration. There was another group who were the elite few. The two groups were combined to form the Penang Malay Association (PMA).
The first president of PMA was Dr Ali bin Othman Merican (Dr AO Merican), who was Penang's first Muslim and Malay doctor, who later moved to Kota Bharu, Kelantan in 1927. The deputy presidents were Tuan Mohamad Rauf bin Chik, Tuan MZ Merican, and Tuan Mohamad Jashim b Iskandar. The secretary was Dr Kamil Mohamed Ariff b Kader Mastan. The treasurer was Tuan MN Merican. The committee members were: Tuan A Abdullah, Tuan MS Ariffin, Tuan UM Bakar, Tuan CM Che Din @ Che Din Allen Dennys (CM Hashim), Tuan Hj Murshid, Tuan Mohamad Hussain, Tuan T Nyak Puteh, and Tuan S Mohamad Thambi. The accountants were Tuan C Mohamad Ismail and Tuan Kapten Baba Ahmad (this person is not Badariah's father).
The Penang Malay Association (Persatuan Melayu Pulau Pinang, PEMENANG) was established on Sunday, March 1927. A group photograph was taken and the first GM was held on 9 May 1927.
The previous PEMENANG premise was built on a piece of land obtained from Dr Lim Chong Eu, then Penang Chief Minister in the 1970s. The PEMENANG was housed in a brick building at 117, Macalister Road.
The PEMENANG now occupies the Bangunan Persatuan Melayu Pulau Pinang, a 2-storey building at 60 Jalan Pemenang.
Lawatan TYT Yang Di-Pertua Pulau Pinang ke Rumah Teh Bunga (12 Mac 2010)
Pengkisahan Sejarah PEMENANG (2007)