Saturday 15 October 2011

Ships (steamers)

This is a good website for ships: Rob Ossian's Pirate Cove!

Speaking of ships, The Ancient Mariner (Capt Muhammad Yusoff bin Haji Ahmad) springs to mind. He is deceased. Inna lillahi wainna ilaihi rojiuun. It was from his blog (The Ancient Mariner) that I came across Tan Sri Dr Mohamed Said bin Mohamed, an early Malay doctor (in TEMD) who became the first elected MB for Negeri Sembilan. There is a useful saying by Jimmy Dean at his blog (The Ancient Mariner):


I cannot change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination - Jimmy Dean


Some of the early Malay doctors had to inspect ships (steamers) which plied the region. Some ships/steamers came from China and stopped over at Singapore before proceeding onward to India. Other ships/steamers went the reverse direction. They were inspected for rats, for possible carriers of the plague infective organism, Yersinia pestis. Necessary fumigation was common.


One steamer that is connected with TEMD was the Sealda. I can't find a photo of it. I guess the Sealda could be like the ship in a photo that Museum Kelantan gave me.  It could be like the ocean liner that I boarded from Kota Kinabalu to Collier Quay in Singapore, circa 1968 - the journey took 3 days of nonstop sailing, and we had to pull anchor far from the Singapore coastline and take a small boat to Collier Quay. I guess it could also be like the ships used as "kapal haji" (Hajj ships). It could be like any of the large ships that anchored off the Penang coast near Pulau Jerejak which can be seen and heard on New Year's Eve as they blow their horns to welcome the new year. There are many possibilities as to what the Sealda could have looked like. It should not look like the Cutty Sark at Greenwich nor the Portuguese galleon, Flor de la Mar (Flower of the Sea; passion flower), which attacked Malacca in 1511. I'm not taking sides when it comes to Malacca History (will blog on this).
The Cutty Sark in Greenwich, UK; August 1980. Recaptured 13 June 2010
Shipping Corporation of India (SCI), from Who is Who in Malaysia and Singapore 1971-1972
Steamship on Sungai Kelantan (Kelantan River). This was before the Sultan Yahya Petra bridge was built, circa 1939. When Dr Ali O Merican came to Kota Bharu via Thailand, he had to take a ferry across Sungai Kelantan to reach Kota Bharu by boat. The river then was wide and deep, unlike now (according to Museum Kelantan staff). Photograph courtesy of Museum Kelantan.
The Kunak steamship that I took from Kota Kinabalu to Collier Quay, Singapore; 1968
Ships in Penang harbour (far bkgr) as seen from the minaret of Masjid Kapitan Keling, Georgetown, Penang. I obtained permission and climbed to the top of the minaret to get this view. I maybe the first woman to get to enter and climb the minaret to the top (I was told women are not allowed in this minaret but I climbed with my husband and the mosque tour guide, a male). Being claustrophobic, I did not take many photos. I was scared to come down after taking photos! Our tour guide said the pink buildings at centre left were bombed during WWII as the Japanese planes had thought the lancas and bullock carts contained ammunition; they were actually carrying washed linen as the buildings were dhoby shops (kedai dobi). Ghat Lebuh Acheh is somewhere at right mid-ground.

0 comments: