Monday, 25 January 2010

GH Kota Bharu 1930s (1)

General Hospital Kota Bharu (GHKB)
Hospital Kota Bharu (HKB)
Hospital Raja Perempuan Zainab II (HRPZ II)

The initial hospital was at another site, in front of Pejabat Tanah today (probably the Klinik An-Nisa today). The hospital then shifted to its present site in 1930s (there is a date mentioned in one of the publications of Muzium Kelantan).

Dr Che' Lah bin Md Joonos was an early Malay doctor (1904-1986). He was transferred from the Civil General Hospital Kuala Lumpur to the Health Office Kota Bharu, Kelantan where he served as Health Officer (H.O.) on 11 December 1945. Four months later, Dr Che' Lah worked at the General Hospital Kota Bharu where he served as Medical Director (M.D.) on 30 April 1946.

Tuan Haji Tamin Merican provided a few names of staff (mainly doctors) who had served at the hospital.

The hospital has changed names three times. It was first General Hospital Kota Bharu (GHKB), then Hospital Kota Bharu (HKB) and now Hospital Raja Perempuan Zainab II (HRPZ II). The previous Malay names were Hospital Umum Kota Bharu and Hospital Besar Kota Bharu. Today, it is referred to simply as "GH" despite its modern long Malay royal name.

HRPZ II has undergone renovations since 1990. Only part of the colonial buildings remain today. Many new modern buildings have been added. If you take the periphery road to the rear of the hospital, you may still be able to see some of the remaining colonial buildings which are white-washed low lying little brick buildings with tiny windows and big blue wooden entrance doors.

Photos of HRPZ II on 6 June 2007.

Main entrance to HRPZ II.

HRPZ II wards nearest the main entrance:
Renovated old wards.

The old TB Ward (pics below) has been demolished in 2009 and new construction has begun in January 2010.
Old parking lot at old TB Ward (demolished).
Old TB Ward (demolished)

Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) has used GHKB as its teaching hospital for medical student training since 1983 when Hospital USM (HUSM) was still being built.