Some students asked me in class, why the Malayan independence was announced first in Malacca before Tunku cried Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdeka at Stadium Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur on 31 August 1957. I could not find a good answer until tonight. I will share some stuff here which you can gather from Baharam's blog and other places.
- Malacca was one of 3 Straits Settlements, and without a sultan
- The Kesatuan Melayu Muda Melaka (KMMM, established in 1937 in Malacca) was active in pushing and promoting reform for the Malays
- KMM led to the formation of KMS (Kesatuan Melayu Singapura); people from KMM moved to Singapore to help establish KMS; KMM learned from KMS's experience as KMS fared better - KMS obtained a Malay settlement (Kampung Melayu) under Eunos
- KMM was highly influential and had better educated men; Prof W.R. Roff referred to them as the Malay intelligensia. They were a better lot and were proactive
- The Malacca Malays were united and stuck together for their own good; their battlecry was "Bersatu kita teguh, bercerai kita roboh"
- Malacca was the seat of the famed Malacca Sultanate, the biggest and most widespread Malay kingdom that had the biggest influence on Malay civilisation
- Malacca was famous as Serambi Makkah as it was the centre of religious learning
- Malacca was the centre of Malay and world trade, and will always be (insyaAllah)
- Malacca was an international city