Friday 5 April 2013

Early Muslim Scholars

There were a number of early Muslim scholars in Kelantan and its vicinity. I first came to know about them from the Kelantan people when I started research on The Early Malay Doctors. I also saw some of the names being mentioned at an exhibition at Pusat Islam in Kuala Lumpur. At the time, I hadn't known who they really were and what were their contributions to society. There is very little known about them at our medical school but we had the other Muslim scholars from West Asia whose portraits now hang in our school's meeting room. I don't know why we studied about the foreign scholars but not our own Muslim scholars on our soil. They were familiar with prevailing ailments and diseases and were also good at some medical practices. Many wrote important health advice and medical notes.


0 comments: