Thursday 7 March 2013

Meet Yasmin Hanoum Ariff

Yasmin Hanoum sent me a letter and a photo of herself. She is the younger daughter of Sir KM Ariff, Penang's most eminent early Malay doctor.  I knew her name when I wrote her father's biography. I have never met her. She wrote she knew my grandfather (Dr Che Lah Md Joonos), mother (Tulip) and father (Abdul Rashid).

Yasmin Hanoum (b.1932) attended St Georges Girls' School in Penang before going to England. Her parents are Sir Dr Kamil Mohamed Ariff and Lady Rahiman Bee. Her parents and a huge entourage were present at her send-off at the Mata Kuching Airbase in Butterworth. She attended the Malayan Teachers' Training College in Kirkby, near Liverpool in England, for two years (1952-54). She was in the second batch of Malayan teachers.

From my father's photo collection, I saw a photo of Nuruddin bin Jamin with my father on board a ship, probably sailing to England in 1951, to go to Kirkby. The two men were in the first batch of Malayan teachers at Kirkby.

Nuruddin bin Jamin married Yasmin Hanoum in December 1954. They have three children-Ahmad Ariff, Amin Ariff, and Shirin.

Dato' Dr Amin Ariff bin Nuruddin is with the National Heart Institute (Institut Jantung Negara, IJN) in Kuala Lumpur. I have met him twice but I didn't know he is Yasmin Hanoum's son. I met him at the National Conference & MQA here at USM in Kubang Kerian. I have a photo of him discussing with Prof Zabidi Hussin. I met him again at a Telehealth meeting at the Ministry of Health complex in Jalan Cedrawasih in Kuala Lumpur before the Ministry moved to Putrajaya.

Yasmin Hanoum bt Sir Dr KM Ariff

Source:
Faridah Abdul Rashid. 2012. The Ariff Family, in Biography of the Early Malay Doctors 1900-1957 Malaya and Singapore, pp506-515.

0 comments: