The first sultan of Johor was Alauddin Riayat Shah II. He was the son of the last sultan of Malacca, Sultan Mahmud Shah. The scion of the Sultanate of Malacca in Johor ended with the death of Sultan Mahmud Shah II in 1699 and throne was taken over by Sultan Abdul Jalil IV. Abdul Jalil IV was a bendahara before the death of the sultan.
Though Johor has been ruled over by at least 20 sultans, the first sultan of modern Johor (Temenggong dynasty) was Sultan Abu Bakar who reigned from 1862 to 1895. He was the first person from the temenggung family to become the sultan in Johor's history. His father, Temenggung Ibrahim (also called Daing Ibrahim) managed to consolidate enough power to disfranchise Sultan Ali who died in 1877. - from Wikipedia
- Sultan Abu Bakar Ibni Daing Ibrahim (2 Feb 1862-4 June 1895)
- Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Sultan Abu Bakar (4 June 1895-8 May 1959)
- Sultan Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim (1959-1981)
- Sultan Iskandar Ibni Almarhum Sultan Ismail (1981-2010)
- Sultan Ibrahim Ismail Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar
Tengku Mahkota Johor: Tunku Ismail